incubator-general mailing list archives

From Urs Lerch <m...@ulerch.net>
Subject Re: [Proposal] ALOIS Project
Date Mon, 16 Aug 2010 06:17:02 GMT
Hi

> IANAL either. At Apache we encourage the use of dependencies that are
> licensed with an Apache-compatible license but we are not strict about
> it. We have projects with dependencies on such things as Microsoft
> Windows. We have had projects with hard dependencies on Java before
> Java was open source.

Since we have learned that MySQL is not the best solution for our
purpose - i.e. tools with other backends get a better performance on
standard hardware -, the replacement of MySQL is on our roadmap.

> Since ALOIS is written in Ruby, it might be easy enough to add a
> database-independence layer to remove the hard dependency on MySQL.

Craig, I too think it is a very good idea to implement a
database-independent layer. Even more, it is my designated goal to add
APIs to all of the five moduls, so we get more flexibility.

> Not a reason to turn away the project.

Happy to hear that!

Best regards
Urs