incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <craig.russ...@oracle.com>
Subject Re: [Proposal] ALOIS Project
Date Sun, 15 Aug 2010 20:33:03 GMT

On Aug 15, 2010, at 11:52 AM, Urs Lerch wrote:

> Hi
>
> Thanks for the feedback.
>
>> If it's been GPL-licensed, you'll need the permission of all
>> contributors
>> to re-license it.  Have you kept meticulous records of all
>> contributions
>> over the lifetime of the project so you can expect to be able to
>> contact
>> everyone?
>
> Since the software has been developed by only two persons, both in
> paid
> employment, and the their employer has a declared interest in entering
> the Apache Incubator, I see no problem concerning the re-licencing.
>
>> What about the required OSS-licensed components?  You mention
>> MySQL - you'd (probably) want a specific exception for that, in the
>> manner of the APR's one.
>
> Although I am no lawyer, in my understanding the database is not
> part of
> the software and therefore the licence of MySQL (or any other
> database)
> is no subject here. Maybe someone with legal know how might clarify
> this
> point.

IANAL either. At Apache we encourage the use of dependencies that are
licensed with an Apache-compatible license but we are not strict about
it. We have projects with dependencies on such things as Microsoft
Windows. We have had projects with hard dependencies on Java before
Java was open source.

Since ALOIS is written in Ruby, it might be easy enough to add a
database-independence layer to remove the hard dependency on MySQL.

Not a reason to turn away the project.

Craig

> Best regards
> Urs