incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ross Gardler <rgard...@apache.org>
Subject A few questions about a potential entry into the incubator
Date Tue, 27 Jul 2010 10:11:29 GMT
I'm currently working with the community behind a large and established
codebase that wants to enter the ASF Incubator. It is likely to be a
while before we have the legal stuff sorted out but all indications are
that it will be sorted.

I do, however, have a few questions from the team that I'm unable to
answer with complete confidence so here goes:

Their user mailing list has 3000 subscribers and is currently hosted by
Yahoo!. They report that there are problems with getting the information
out of that list. Has anyone here got experience of migrating a yahoo
list, preferably with archives to ASF hardware? What options do we have
if it proves to be problematic?

The project consists of a "core" and then a number of optional modules
that extend the core. At present most of these modules are maintained by
the same community members but are hosted in different projects, in some
cases on different infrastructure, in all cases with different release
cycles. The modules do not useful without the core, that is they cannot
be used with a different implementation of the core.

Are there any problems bringing these modules into the podling, managing
them under the same community but each having separate release cycles.

Finally, they have a large number of users and thus changing their java
package names to org.apache.* will create considerable problems for
them. They are happy with the package names but want to do it in a
managed way with plenty of warning for their users.

Can incubator releases be in package names other than org.apache?

Ross

--
rgardler@apache.org
@rgardler