incubator-general mailing list archives

From Grégoire Rolland <grolland.jspi...@gmail.com>
Subject [PROPOSAL] jSpirit Project
Date Fri, 16 Jul 2010 14:57:28 GMT
Hello,

I'm here to propose a new project for the Apache incubator, related to a

You can find the first draft of the proposal here [
http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/JSpiritProposal ].

We are looking for Champion, Mentors and interrested developpers. And we
gracefully ask to the Incubator for sponsoring this project.

We were happy to receive your feedback about this proposal.

Thanks for your support, we are happy to begin a new work with you !

Best Regards,

Here the text of the proposal :

= Abstract =
jSpirit will be a platform to develop efficiently enterprise class
applications for SaaS with real Multi-tenant support and cloud deployement.

= Proposal =
jSpirit will provide technical foundation on which application
developper will create enterprise software distributed as services.
jSpirit vill implement global and out-of-box architecture supporting
multi-tenancy. As multi-tenancy, I mean architecture that share the same
application for multiple client, with support of specifics
comportements. The technical foundation will include an integration
framework designed for simplify and abstract technical complexity of
J2EE for the final developper, a set of tools to industrialize
production of applications, a complete applications stack, and a set of
methods and recommandation to develop efficiently.

= Background =
jSpirit was initialy developped for a french company who wants to create
a multi-tenant SaaS ERP for trading in the agribusiness world. The
application is now finnished and this company opens the codes of the
foundation of this project.  At this time, there is no foundation
framework whose provide multi-tenancy support so it was a need to
develop something like jSpirit. The experience of developping such
application point there is a need to have tools and method to do this.

= Rationale =
I think there is a strong need of architecture and simplicity in the
java world. The multi-tenancy problems are difficult to resolve and the
needs of such application will grow in the future. jSpirit will
implements out-of-box architecure, a seamless programming model and
technical module to simplify developpement. jSpirit goals is to become a
concentrate of experience of open-source and advanced J2EE developpers
to provide a platform for efficiently develop application in the SaaS
and Multi-tenant world.

= Initial Goals =
First goal is to develop users and developer community around the
project to ensure quality and usability of the platform. Our open-source
experience is not high so we think it's important to relies on a
community to make the project live.
Second goal is to document the project to be more usable as is.
Third goal is to enlarge functionnality and make the project more
coherent with apache ecosystem.

= Current Status =
== Code Base ==
All the code base is here :
[[http://sourceforge.net/projects/jspirit/|Sourceforge]].
The current code base implements all functionnalities below.

=== Architecture ===
  * Multi-tiered Architecture out-of-the-box : Implementation of
Integration Layer, Business Layer, Client Layer
  * Java 5 annotation and auto-injection based lookup of services
  * Classpath scanning for auto-discovering components
  * Modular and plugable architecture : automatic activation of modules
in the classpath, ready for seamless integration
  * Implementation of Long-Conversation pattern, with JTA 2PC support
(with Geronimo Transaction Manager), and implicit demarcation (explicit
demarcation is always possible)
  * [in progress] AOP interceptor on top of each layer

=== Integration Layer ===
  * Implementation of abstract integration services and abstract
persister based on JPA technology
  * Maven plugins for code generation of integration layer from xml
description of component business model : generate persistent class,
access services, queries, constraints, JPA annotation,  lucene
indexation of business model
  * bean validation integration
  * Full Multi-tenancy integration on EntityManager and Caches
  * Multi-tenant Postgresql support

=== Business Layer ===
  * Implementation of abstract business services and infrastructure
  * Annotation discovering and injection of dependents services
  * Multi-tenant replacement of services at runtime
  * Simple Asynchronous and distributed business services with Apache
ActiveMQ : this is annotation driven

=== Client Layer ===
  * JSF 2.0 predefined integration
  * Abstract Managed Bean for simple developpement of list and forms
  * Integration of restful url for JSF 2
  * Multi-tenant interceptor for determining tenant context based on
full qualified domain name

=== Scheduling ===
  * Distributed and load adaptative voting peer-to-peer scheduler
  * voting task execution with Condorcet Method

=== Security ===
  * Simple security integration : form login, http basic security
  * Multi-tenant support for authentications and authorizations
  * peer-to-peer sessions id replications for support max session per
user in a cluster
  * Regexp filters on urls
  * JSF function and bean to manage security on pages

=== i18n ===
  * Full i18n support
  * Multi-tenacy i18n : overriding label per tenant
  * JSF function for accessing labels and locale
  * JSF bean for controlling user locale on web page

=== Data Import/Export ===
  * XML data importer/exporter customizable by tenant with scripting
services
  * ready for "open-SaaS" to guarantee application users data
integration and recuperation

=== Web Services ===
  * Simple export of business services to Soap Web Services with Apache CXF
  * [in progress] REstfull web services with Apache Abdera integration
(and XStream)
  * Atom 1.0 support with Apache Abdera (only GET method now)

=== Search ===
  * Indexation of data model
  * Simple Query interface for searching in the data model
  * Multi-tenant support of the Lucene Indexes

=== JCR ===
  * Multi-tenant integration of Apache JackRabbit : workspaces based
  * Implementation of injectable service for JackRabbit access
  * JTA transaction participation

=== Mail ===
  * Injectable mail services out-of-box

=== Reporting ===
  * Report module on top of the business layer
  * based on Castor XML and Apache FOP
  * Pluggable Reporting Provider architecture
  * Multi-tenant report replacement at runtime

=== Tools ===
  * Set of Maven archetype mapped on architecture to create one project
by layer

=== Planned Functionnality ===
  * Maven Plugin for code generation supporting Apache Cassandra without
interface modification
  * Create others multi-tenant interceptor based on other methods
  * Support more algorithms for scheduling for the distributed scheduler
  * Security : Services Access Authorization
  * Eclipse plugins for MDA enablement, XML schema recognition, and more
  * Integration of Business Rules Engine with multi-tenancy
  * Integration of BPM/Workflow Engine with multi-tenancy
  * Simple Cloud deployement

== Meritocracy ==
We think meritocacy is the best method to conduct project. It give
involvement to procude quality products. The responsability of
individuals in project should grow proportionnaly to their implication.
So their responsabilty must represent their involvement and the quality
of the work produced. In other words, we think we can improve a project
quality with motivated persons who wants contribute to set the future
path of the project. We think developping open-source software is an
adventure and we need adventurer !!

== Community ==
As said above, building community is the first initial goal for the
project. The actual community is actually composed of two developpers
and a software company in France who uses jSpirit as a foundation for
his product. We will encourage suggestions, contributions, and other
feedback because we think we need stay near the users and developper
community to satisfy their attents. That's why we need a free license.
We wants promote exchange betweens persons to improve the ideas and the
quality of the software.

== Core Developers ==
There is two developpers at the moment :
Grégoire Rolland, J2EE Architect from 7 years, founder of the jSPirit
project.
Franck Hervy, Java developper from 8 years, contributor.
We are conviced by the need of participate to free sofware, but our
experience is minimal (but we want learn !)

== Alignment ==
We think apache foundation is a good match for jSpirit. jSpirit is
targeted tu use Tomcat and Geronimo in the future. jSpirit uses already
a lot of Apache projects and we think we need collaboration with this
project to produce the best platform we can. This project are ActiveMQ,
Abdera, CXF, Velocity, Maven, Commons, Geronimo, JackRabbit, Lucene,
FOP, ...And there are other project we will need to work with
(Cassandra, OpenEJB, OpenJPA).  We think there could be good interaction
between projects and jSpirit could fit in the ecosystem.

=  Known Risks =
== Orphaned products ==
There is a risk the product became orphaned due to the small numbers of
commiters, that's why wee need to build a community. Grégoire Rolland
wants to build his carrer aroud this project and Frank Hervy is very
interrested. The company wich already use jSpirit could diminish the
risk of orphaned product.

== Inexperience with Open Source ==
The initial committers have low experience with open source projects.
All have been involved with source code that has been released under an
open source license, but there is no experience developing code with an
open source development process. But we are very motivated to execute
our developpement under the meritocraty rules. As said above we are
really open to this new experience, that's why we propose this project
for incubation.

== Homogenous Developers ==
All developpers works in different company, we are in France, sure, the
geographical region is limited. But we already have join proposition
from other countries. We think this project could interrest a large
panel of developper and we want encourage this.

== Reliance on Salaried Developers ==
Franck Hervy is vonluteer for developping jSpirit. Grégoire Rolland is
currently unemployed but want to make is business around this project
and support this in a long term. The project will continue without
salaried developper.

== Relationships with Other Apache Products ==
Reltionship with other Apache Products exists today as dependent library
as said above, and we want encourage these and work together to improve
the quality of each. Dependencies include ActiveMQ, Abdera, CXF,
Velocity, Maven, Commons, Geronimo, JackRabbit, Lucene, FOP. We want
develop the relationships with Cassandra, OpenEJB, OpenJPA and Geronimo,
to build a high quality platform for developping enterprises applications.

== A Excessive Fascination with the Apache Brand ==
We hope the Apache Brand will attract users and contributors around this
project. We know ASF since 10 years and we are used products daily. We
think the products are all quality and open-source respective. We
recognize the effort of the ASF in the open-source ecosystem and we want
to add our sweat to this effort. However we can continue this adventure
alone but this will be harder and less motivating than belong to a large
and recognized community.

= Documentation =
There is not much documentation now (it's the second initial goals), but
you can found some material here (sorry it's in french) :
  *
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jspirit/files/doc/saas_rmll.pdf/download
  *
https://sourceforge.net/projects/jspirit/files/doc/jspirit_presentation.pdf/download

= Initial Source =
jSpirit is in developpement since September 2008 by Grégoire Rolland.
The developpement started in a french company (Husson Ingenierie,
Périgueux, http://husson-info.fr/) when the developpers needs a platform
for building multi-tenant application. The source was liberated in Arpil
2010.

= External Dependencies =
The dependencies all have Apache compatible licenses. These include
LGPL, BSD, CDDL, CPL, MPL and MIT licensed dependencies.

= Cryptography =
jSpirit could depend now or in the future from cryptographic code.

= Required Resources =

== Mailing lists ==
  * jspirit-private (with moderated subscriptions)
  * jspirit-dev
  * jspirit-commits
  * jspirit-user

== Subversion Directory ==
  * https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/jspirit

== Issue Tracking ==
JIRA jSpirit (JSPIRIT)

== Initial Committers ==
  * Grégoire Rolland (grolland dot jspirit at gmail dot com)
  * Franck Hervy (hervy dot franck at free dot fr)

== Interrested developpers ==
Here a list of the interrested developper :

= Sponsors =
== Champion ==
We are actually looking for a Champion.

== Nominated Mentors ==
We also need Mentors.

== Sponsoring Entity ==
We gracefully ask the Incubator to be our sponsor.

--
Grégoire Rolland