incubator-general mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From Bernd Fondermann <bernd.fonderm...@googlemail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move Chukwa to incubator
Date Wed, 23 Jun 2010 13:12:47 GMT
On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 14:45, ant elder <ant.elder@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 9:53 AM, Bernd Fondermann
> <bernd.fondermann@googlemail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Jun 23, 2010 at 07:54, Eric Yang <eyang@yahoo-inc.com> wrote:
>>> Besides DOAP file and the incubator nomenclature, I may need help identify
>>> the addition responsibilities for Apache PMC.  One problem, Chukwa community
>>> did not have a vote for PMC Chair because we are not sure what is the right
>>> process for this.  Meanwhile, I have been writing quarterly report like any
>>> other Apache project, only recipient of the report is different.
>>>
>>> Chukwa releases have been voted by Chukwa community which is similar to
>>> Hadoop releases, and managed incremental changes using patches and
>>> committers.  Code audit has been performed by the committers to ensure we
>>> don't bring in license incompatible libraries into Chukwa.
>>>
>>> Owen O'Malley had trained us these procedures roughly two years ago, and we
>>> have been executing the same process ever since.
>>
>> This translate for me into:
>> Chukwa didn't have proper oversight by a PMC (a committee that is, not
>> a single person) at Hadoop.
>> Incubation would fix this using established processes.
>> I think this is the right track, and the people involved, including
>> the Hadoop PMC, ultimatively did the right thing.
>> (Except for not simply growing the Hadoop PMC over time to include
>> committers from every product.)
>>
>>> Chukwa has a community of exist user base of 35 people.  It would be nice to
>>> make Chukwa a special case to skip incubator nomenclature.  This would ease
>>> the migration path for the existing Chukwa community.
>>
>> Ok with me, at least as far as MLs or SVN are concerned.
>> However, Chukwa must be aware that it is changing PMCs from Hadoop to Incubator.
>> So different rules might apply, like marking release artifacts as "-incubating".
>> Let's gather some more feedback on this.
>>
>
> Most projects that come to incubate would likely prefer to go straight
> to the TLP naming.

Sure they'd prefer to. Terminating the Incubator would be worth its
own thread, though.

> The last time i recall this came up was here:
> http://apache.markmail.org/message/ifinvq7wqmeoo5ix

... which is in the context of Subversion. Subversion is on the other
end of incubating projects, coming from their own solid standalone
ASF-like foundation.

> IMHO we should insist on using the incubator naming for the Chukwa
> website/svn/MLs because I think Chukwa should just go directly to a
> TLP and if they have to use the incubator naming it may help them
> decide that the direct to TLP route really is better ;-)

I see you blinking here, so I guess this is not just for putting up a
strawman ;-)

  Bernd

---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: general-unsubscribe@incubator.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: general-help@incubator.apache.org


Mime
View raw message