incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Reddin <gred...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Move Chukwa to incubator
Date Fri, 25 Jun 2010 16:02:56 GMT
On Fri, Jun 25, 2010 at 10:34 AM, William A. Rowe Jr.
<wrowe@rowe-clan.net> wrote:
> Yes, it seems that Hadoop PMC should supervise the vote for the chair, with
> a slightly frustrating cc list of all of the actual committers to chukwa.
> That way, nominations and votes for chair are archived on a private list.
>
> But the Incubator doesn't just say yes/no.  We can refer this back to Hadoop
> proposing this as a TLP, and even offer the list of mentors as observers, or
> members of the initial PMC.

What do the originators of the proposal think of this direction? It
sounds like they want to be a TLP, but are not sure they are yet
ready. That leaves a burning question in my mind: Why do they feel
they need the Incubator, rather than the Hadoop PMC, to help them
mature into a TLP?

I supported the Incubator proposal as it was written because I'm not
sure Chukwa is getting the mentoring they need in their current home.
I figure the Incubator is a good place to do that. I also support
using the TLP naming because I think the Incubator can give them the
mentoring they need and set them on their way in good time, and I'd
like to avoid an extra renaming step. I would support what Bill has
suggested if it was put to a vote, and honestly, I can't really say if
one direction is preferable over the other. So, for now, I still
support the proposal that has been put to a vote.

Greg