incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] Release Shiro version 1.0.0-incubating
Date Wed, 26 May 2010 09:00:58 GMT
On Tue, May 25, 2010 at 11:32 PM, Kalle Korhonen
<kalle.o.korhonen@gmail.com> wrote:
> This is the first incubator release for Apache Shiro, version
> 1.0.0-incubating. The release is made following the standard
> Apache/Maven release process as documented at
> http://maven.apache.org/developers/release/apache-release.html. This
> is a lazy consensus vote as we already received 3 binding IPMC +1
> votes for the PPMC release vote on shiro-dev.
>
> PPMC release vote thread:
> http://mail-archives.apache.org/mod_mbox/incubator-shiro-dev/201005.mbox/%3CAANLkTik_mkE9dwLATMxnZq7kwCdBs3aMsu5UlymkP5ZB@mail.gmail.com%3E
>
> The issues solved for 1.0.0 (after the project entered Apache incubator):
> https://issues.apache.org/jira/secure/ReleaseNote.jspa?projectId=12310950&styleName=Html&version=12314078
>
> The tag to be voted upon:
> http://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/shiro/tags/shiro-root-1.0.0-incubating/
>
> Staging repo for binaries:
> https://repository.apache.org/content/repositories/orgapacheshiro-005/
>
> Staging site:
> http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/static/1.0.0-incubating/
>
> Project website (just for informational purposes, not to be voted upon):
> http://incubator.apache.org/shiro/
>
> Guide to testing staged releases:
> http://maven.apache.org/guides/development/guide-testing-releases.html
>
> Lazy consensus, vote open for 72 hours.
>
> [ ] +1
> [ ] +0
> [ ] -1

I can't find all the source for the release. AFAICT the only way to
recreate all the release artifacts would be from the svn tag but thats
not enough as an ASF release must include a source release. If I've
just missed it and all the source is there somewhere then could you
provide the link?

Two other comments are:

There is no incubation DISCLAIMER file in any of the release artifacts
which is required as per
http://incubator.apache.org/incubation/Incubation_Policy.html#Releases.
That needs to be present either as a separate file next to the
LICENSE/NOTICE files or the text may be included in the top level
README, for an example see:
https://svn.apache.org/repos/asf/incubator/kato/tags/apache-kato-M1-incubating/DISCLAIMER.txt
Looking back now we seem to be missing this in other releases recently
too so perhaps this could be fixed on the next release if there isn't
a new RC needed for anything else.

I don't think the NOTICE file needs those extra comments about
SoftHashMap and Spring, and perhaps the SoftHashMap comments would be
better in the LICENSE file. There has been a lot of confusion about
what should go in the NOTICE file and extra info is far better than
missing info so up to the project what if anything to do about this.

Other than that it looks good, the missing source is a problem though
so sorry but my vote is -1 until that is cleared up.

   ...ant