incubator-general mailing list archives

From Wathsala Vithanage <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Dalesa P2P Web Cache Project
Date Fri, 05 Feb 2010 09:59:36 GMT

Sorry for the delayed reply, I intentionally waited until Dalsa Howto
is ready so you could try it out easily if you are interested
Dalesa is actually targeted for desktop computers, that means everyone with
a computer. Right now it is only used inside our lab ;). But it is not
limited to desktops only, the same is applicable for server clusters
as well.

As I have mentioned in the proposal we are also interested in TS
project and we could combine as you have mentioned. I think TS has a
better HTTP handling capabilities than Dalesa. Thanks for your
comments and I will check TS code this afternoon, hope it is using APR
unlike Dalesa.

On Thu, Feb 4, 2010 at 7:43 AM, Leif Hedstrom <> wrote:
> On 02/02/2010 09:22 AM, Wathsala Vithanage wrote:
>> Hi,
>> We would like to incubate the project Dalesa at Apache incubator and join
>> Apache Software Foundation.
>> You can find the proposal at
>> Dalesa is a P2P web cache which could become an alternative to existing
>> centralised web caches like Squid. At the moment we have a released the
>> first release candidate of version 1.0.0.
>> The project web is at
> Very interesting. First off, I think you have covered most bases in your
> proposal, and the concept certainly makes sense. One thing that is unclear
> to me is who the target users are (everyone with a computer?)? And who is
> using it today? There are obvious overlaps between this proposal, and the
> Traffic Server project, as you have pointed out. For example, TS already has
> a "clustering" solution, which uses consistent hashing for distributing the
> objects (granted, it's currently broken, but we'll fix that :). I'm sure
> there are plenty of other pieces that would be very similar, a proxy is a
> proxy after all.
> As such, if this proposal gets accepted, I think it's important and useful
> for both TS and Dalesa to cooperate, sharing ideas as well as code (when
> possible). Long term, I could possibly see the two being combined as one TLP
> (but, we'll have to see what code pieces can be shared / merged etc., and
> we're currently working hard to get a first TS release out the door).  I
> don't think any of the TS developers are  IPMC members, so we can't help
> mentor the project during incubation. But I myself would be willing to help
> as much as I can as a contributor, to help you through incubation at least.
> Cheers!
> -- leif

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: