incubator-general mailing list archives

From Justin Erenkrantz <jus...@erenkrantz.com>
Subject Source code dumps via JIRA?
Date Tue, 09 Feb 2010 05:22:45 GMT
For OODT, we think we want to import the prior history of the project
into the podling via a Subversion dump file. However, in:

http://incubator.apache.org/guides/mentor.html#initial-import-code-dump

it says:

---
In either case, the code to be imported should be attached to a JIRA
and then imported. It is recommended that the previous version control
system is tagged so that the imported version is precisely known.

A public record MUST be made of the code imported. If the import is
not attached to JIRA then it MUST be committed to version control.
---

I can understand the rationale for having a public record, but I'm not
seeing the reasoning for JIRA.

Can someone please shed some light on this?  Is this really reflective
of actual best practices?

As a counter-example, I'd believe providing a URL to the dump (or
uploading it to people.a.o) and providing a SHA checksum via email
(PGP-signed?) would be sufficient for our purposes.  -- justin