incubator-general mailing list archives

From Sylvain Wallez <sylv...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Interest in Android-based projects?
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 18:08:02 GMT
Lee Fisher wrote:
> > What would be the focus (if any)?
>
> Two areas of emphasis that I'd think useful:
>
> 1) NDK-based: or APR, httpd, and other appropriate *-c projects, for
> unblocked devices and other Android-based platforms.
>
> Ensure BIONC C comapatility, address Binder/AIDL/JNI lib issues, so
> each developer doesn't have to do it with their own version of an
> Apache C-based library.
>
> Perhaps not on default phones today, but putting httpd on current
> Android embeddded projects (BeagleBoard ones, Android-x86, etc) might
> seed future projects to have more Apache possibilities.
>
> 2) SDK-based: ports of *-java projects and ports of the Commons Java
> libs that're appropriate.
>
> There's already many snapshots of Apache java projects on GoogleCode
> that've started to address this, at least for many Java libs. It would
> be nice to have an Apache-based central source for these kinds of
> changes.
>
> Perhaps update to the Android SDK toolchain, to make it as painless as
> possible for Android ISVs to use Apache libraries in their apps.
> Normally this is for OEMs' tools, unsure if non-partners can provide
> tools in this way yet.
>
> http://developer.android.com/sdk/adding-components.html#AddingSites

Haven't tried it, but there is an "add site" button where you can add
the URL of a new repository along with
http://dl-ssl.google.com/android/repository/repository.xml

That could be a nice way to package Android-tested Apache libraries for
direct usage in Android projects, without having to integrate Maven or
other complex dependency engines.

Sylvain

--
Sylvain Wallez - http://bluxte.net