incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leif Hedstrom <zw...@apache.org>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Dalesa P2P Web Cache Project
Date Thu, 04 Feb 2010 02:13:00 GMT
On 02/02/2010 09:22 AM, Wathsala Vithanage wrote:
> Hi,
>
> We would like to incubate the project Dalesa at Apache incubator and join
> Apache Software Foundation.
> You can find the proposal at http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/DalesaProposal.
>
> Dalesa is a P2P web cache which could become an alternative to existing
> centralised web caches like Squid. At the moment we have a released the
> first release candidate of version 1.0.0.
> The project web is at http://dalesa.sourceforge.net

Very interesting. First off, I think you have covered most bases in your
proposal, and the concept certainly makes sense. One thing that is
unclear to me is who the target users are (everyone with a computer?)?
And who is using it today? There are obvious overlaps between this
proposal, and the Traffic Server project, as you have pointed out. For
example, TS already has a "clustering" solution, which uses consistent
hashing for distributing the objects (granted, it's currently broken,
but we'll fix that :). I'm sure there are plenty of other pieces that
would be very similar, a proxy is a proxy after all.

As such, if this proposal gets accepted, I think it's important and
useful for both TS and Dalesa to cooperate, sharing ideas as well as
code (when possible). Long term, I could possibly see the two being
combined as one TLP (but, we'll have to see what code pieces can be
shared / merged etc., and we're currently working hard to get a first TS
release out the door).  I don't think any of the TS developers are  IPMC
members, so we can't help mentor the project during incubation. But I
myself would be willing to help as much as I can as a contributor, to
help you through incubation at least.

Cheers!

-- leif