incubator-general mailing list archives

From Martin Cooper <mart...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Switching incubator.apache.org to svnpubsub?
Date Wed, 03 Feb 2010 15:41:10 GMT
On Wed, Feb 3, 2010 at 6:51 AM, Upayavira <uv@odoko.co.uk> wrote:
> On Tue, 2010-02-02 at 22:57 -0800, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:
>> Hi general@,
>>
>> I'd like to suggest switching incubator.apache.org over to svnpubsub.
>> (We can do so by filing a JIRA like INFRA-2349:
>> http://issues.apache.org/jira/browse/INFRA-2349)
>>
>> This would mean that any commits made to the site-publish tree would
>> automatically be deployed to the site.  No more delays, no more SSH
>> and SVN up fun.  Yay.  This does mean you trade off the fact that you
>> can't delay anything - but, in general, I think that's fine for the
>> incubator site and would substantially lower the barrier of entry to
>> folks working on the Incubator site.  Often times, people's first
>> experience with the ASF is through the podlings, so I think it would
>> be nice if we could make it a bit easier to publish the incubator.a.o
>> site.
>>
>> What do folks think?  -- justin
>>
>> P.S. On IRC, Paul mentions there may be some complications with
>> respect to podling sites as sub-directories, but he promises that it
>> is "feasible" to address.  *grin*
>
> While I'd like to see a decent CMS set up, pubsub is here now, and much
> better than what we currently have.
>
> Also, as has been said, few podlings will opt for the current
> Anakia/checkout on p.a.o approach, so there's little argument that
> making them use it for the incubator site is 'educational'.

Unless I'm missing something, using svnpubsub will only remove the
need for the second part (checkout on p.a.o), but not the first part
(Anakia). People will still need to run Anakia to generate the HTML
pages from the XML sources, but when they check in the HTML, it will
go live immediately instead of being delayed. Right?

--
Martin Cooper