incubator-general mailing list archives

From Scott Wilson <scott.bradley.wil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Interest in Android-based projects?
Date Tue, 16 Feb 2010 10:25:29 GMT

On 16 Feb 2010, at 10:05, Nick Kew wrote:

> On 15 Feb 2010, at 21:03, Christopher Brind wrote:
>
>> I dare say I would probably be interested in most anything you can
>> come up
>> with :) but I suspect the project would need to be something more
>> specific
>> as a starter for the incubator?
>
> +1 to that.
>
> What sets android apart from its peers to make it more deserving of
> apache's attention?  It's not even the most open of mobile platforms!
>
> Something I could be interested in is a lab for cross-platform
> mobile development.  But I don't have a proposal that would
> work as an apache project.

I completely agree - what I think would be useful would be a W3C
Widgets[1] & W3C DAP[2] implementation for Android to enable cross-
platform standards-based mobile app development (as suggested by Peter-
Paul Koch [3]). Apache Wookie(Incubating)[4] already implements the
Widgets spec so there is code there to build on.

[1] http://www.w3.org/TR/widgets/
[2] http://www.w3.org/2009/dap/
[3] http://quirksmode.org/presentations/sf09/google.pdf
[4] http://incubator.apache.org/wookie/