incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Validation incubator for JSR-303 Bean Validation
Date Fri, 01 Jan 2010 04:25:05 GMT

On Dec 31, 2009, at 7:20 PM, Joe Schaefer wrote:

> Getting back to the subject, my primary objection to what's being proposed is that
> commons should handle this as an ip clearance, not as a project incubation.  If
> commons insists that the individuals in question have to submit patches to their
> own work product for a while, that is a suboptimal choice but I can respect it.

I disagree that it should just be about ip clearance. If the Commons PMC has a history with
the committers that come with the code then they surely can judge whether those people would
be good members of the community. If they don't have any track record to go on then it is
unreasonable to expect them to immediately accept them. The Commons PMC doesn't even do that
for Members, except to grant them commit rights to the sandbox. However, IMO it would not
be unreasonable to allow the code into the sandbox and give them only commit rights to their
component. However, I'm not on the Commons PMC so my opinion is just that.

Ralph