incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:53:02 GMT
On Thu, Dec 10, 2009 at 10:47 AM, Goetz, Paul <paul.goetz@sap.com> wrote:
> Hi,
>
> well, sorry that the discussion did not happen on the Chemistry mailing list.
>
> But for those being employees needing a legal clearance from their employer, before they
can contribute or mail to a mailing list, it is difficult to do that in an early stage...

I understand and sympathize, but if this is the kind of issues you are
facing, I would suggest that you have much bigger problems to solve
than an Open Source project. Actually, your statement is extremely
worrisome, as you should be aware that in Apache you have to act as an
individual: it's fine that you bring your company agenda to the table,
but it's also important that you are able to decide based on pure
technical merit and exercise your judgement as an individual. If you
don't feel that's the case - and indeed I can smell some issues here -
maybe the ASF is not the right place for you and you will find a more
corporate-friendly environment somewhere else (Eclipse comes to mind).

> We have a working code base already - discussing the modus operandi and a potential merge
with Chemistry seems to be time consuming to me (compared to doing a review once the entire
OpenCMIS code is available and stabilized). Wouldn't it be worth to give it a try?

I'm not going to formally stop you, but I would say that "giving it a
try" just for the sake of it is not quite the right way to start. You
have to realize that incubating a project requires time and dedication
from the Incubator PMC as a whole, from your mentors and from the
champion: it's no small feat by any stretch of imagination. Letting
you start incubating without properly scrutinizing the issue of how
you might relate with another podling just because your employer makes
it difficult to have an open discussion to a mailing list doesn't
sound a single bit right to me.

--
Gianugo