incubator-general mailing list archives

From Gianugo Rabellino <gian...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Wed, 09 Dec 2009 17:45:01 GMT
On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:33 PM, Bertrand Delacretaz
<bdelacretaz@apache.org> wrote:
> On Wed, Dec 9, 2009 at 6:21 PM, Goetz, Paul <paul.goetz@sap.com> wrote:
>
>> ...Alignment
>> Apache Chemistry aims to build a CMIS implementation, too. The focus for OpenCMIS
is to provide a
>> self-contained client library for CMIS for Java only - while Chemistry is aiming
at a broader scope, as
>> it started from a JCR/Jackrabbit based approach and is planning to support Javascript
as well.
>> As the APIs are pretty different right now, contributing the OpenCMIS code to Chemistry
will
>> be very hard to do - but on a mid-term perspective, we will review our options to
merge
>> OpenCMIS with Chemistry....
>
> I'm not sure if having two podlings implementing CMIS is a good idea.

I second that. Although I am, in principle, interested, I'd like to
know more about what would differentiate OpenCMIS from Chemistry, and
why is this duplication a good thing. From your proposal, I seem to
understand you are more focused on the CMIS client side, yet I would
like to understand a bit more what's missing from the client Chemistry
bit.

--
Gianugo