incubator-general mailing list archives

From Stefane Fermigier ...@nuxeo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:18:12 GMT

On Dec 12, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Michael Wechner wrote:

> Stefane Fermigier schrieb:
>> OK, I personally believe this is in contradiction with the first
>> commandment of the Apache Way:
>>
>> "*Community over Code* is a frequent saying that exemplifies ASF
>> projects. Community uses Openness and Merit, expressed through
>> Collaborative and Consensus driven work, to build lasting projects
>> that use a Pragmatic License. While a diverse community is a
>> requirement for every ASF project, we also expect people to
>> contribute as Individuals, and wear appropriate Hats."
>
> I cannot see any contradiction. Can you explain where exactly you
> see the contradiction?

As I understand it, the Apache Way means that building consensus has
more value than a code base that can be donated but can't be modified
because, well, there are good reasons not to do it.

>> -> Let our Apache Foundation overlords decide.
>
> who are you refering to?

I'm not familiar with the process, but I understand that some people
are going to be responsible for deciding who will graduate and who
won't.

>> I still think that at least there should be common code (ex:
>> constants, as suggested by Jukka) and I hope that this will the
>> case, in any case.
>
> Maybe you want to go one step towards OpenCMIS and make a concrete
> suggestion what you think could be shared and I am quite certain
> the OpenCMIS guys will also make a step towards Chemistry as
> well .... and I am confident collaboration will happen, but yes
> somebody has
> to make a first step and maybe it is even an advantage to take this
> first step ;-)

I think suggestions have already been made.

   S.

Web: http://www.nuxeo.com/ - Tel: +33 1 40 33 79 87
New: follow me on Twitter: http://twitter.com/sfermigier