incubator-general mailing list archives

From Florian Müller <fmuel...@opentext.com>
Subject RE: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Thu, 10 Dec 2009 09:03:29 GMT
Hi,

I can talk a bit about the OpenCMIS architecture. That might help to distinguish it from Chemistry.

OpenCMIS consists of two layers. We call them Provider layer and Client layer.

The Provider layer implements and hides the CMIS bindings. The API of the Provider layer maps
the CMIS domain model. That is, the CMIS specification can be used as the documentation of
the Provider layer. There are the same services, the same operations and the same parameters.
The AtomPub and Web Services bindings are hidden behind this API. The application does not
need to know in advance which binding it will eventually use.

This layer is fully implemented expect for some details. There are some open spec issues that
prevent us from finalizing it. It needs extensive testing, though.

Although the Provider layer allows fine-grained control over the calls to the CMIS server
it doesn't provide a nice Java-like interface. It deals with immutable data objects.

The Client layer sits on top of the Provider layer and provides this nice Java-like interface.
It has all the classes and methods you would expect from an object-oriented interface. We
also will make sure that it fits into enterprise framework environments.

We are currently designing the API of this layer. The proposals are not public yet.

Application developers can choose which API is the most suitable for their use case. If fine-grained
control or cachable and serializable objects are relevant than the Provider layer is the right
choice. If a nice interface and framework integration is important the Client layer is the
better option.

Regarding the instability of the CMIS spec: Yes, there are still open issues but those are
details. We and other companies were confident enough to spend at lot of energy to implement
CMIS and do these small corrections later. It's the right time to implement the CMIS spec.

I hope that helps.

Florian