incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 12:15:42 GMT
Niclas Hedhman wrote:
> The Board has in the past condemned "balkanization" of community, and my
> take on this situation is exactly that.
>
> This is not "yet another web framework", which often brought forward as
> examples that the ASF encourages competition within. Those typically have a
> different "angle", "approach" or "metaphor", something making each very
> different beasts. But in this case we are talking about "the same spec".
> There is no real distinguishing features and huge overlap of commonality.

there isn't just one JCR implementation and I am glad there is a choice
and some healthy competition.
Yes, the ASF only hosts one JCR implementation, but would it matter if
another would be part of the ASF?
I don't think it would matter, but it would rather show that the ASF is
really open-minded about different approaches.
> I think this is a NIH-syndrome in play, in the best case "oh we have the
> code working already" and the worst case "we don't like to collaborate with
> them", and there is reason to think that that goes for both sides of the
> fence.

if so, then let's be specific on this and parties should explain
themselves re this particular "allegation"
> I want to see Chemistry capable to absorb such contribution and collaborate
> heavily to bring such codebase in.
> And I want to see the people of the OpenCMIS proposal to show that they
> indeed can work with others.
>
> Exactly how the merged community goes about with the technical integration
> is its own business, but I am worried that the new codebase will not receive
> the welcome I hope, the Chemistry base will dominate, and the OpenCMIS
> proposer get fed up and leaves. Important Mentors understand the risks here,
> and keep eyes extra open for attrition, domination and forceful
> consensus-seeking.
>
> I think discussion should continue on Chemistry dev@ list. If agreement
> can't be reached there, then I am NOT in favor of incubating OpenCMIS
> separately and will vote -1 to such proposal.

that seems to me very wrong. If you have two folks speaking to each
other and in the end they find out
that they cannot work together for some reason, then we send one of them
into the "desert" just because
the other one was there first (especially if you have enough space
actually). Let's first see how the discussion
goes and then decide how to continue.
>  I will also form myself an
> opinion of how well Chemistry is trying to collaborate, and it may improve
> or deteriorate its status with me.
>
> This can become an excellent opportunity for all involved to show off their
> ApacheWay skills

I would be glad if we could stop refering to the ApacheWay, because
AFAIK there is no strict definition of
the ApacheWay. I would rather prefer if we could be specific, for
example that both parties make a concrete list,
where they are different code-wise and why they think it is not possible
to merge the code initially and also make
a plan what the common "interfaces" could be initially and in the future.

Thanks

Michael