incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 11:52:49 GMT
Stefane Fermigier wrote:
> On Dec 12, 2009, at 1:36 PM, Michael Wechner wrote:
>> Stefane Fermigier schrieb:
>>> OK, I personally believe this is in contradiction with the first
>>> commandment of the Apache Way:
>>> "*Community over Code* is a frequent saying that exemplifies ASF
>>> projects. Community uses Openness and Merit, expressed through
>>> Collaborative and Consensus driven work, to build lasting projects
>>> that use a Pragmatic License. While a diverse community is a
>>> requirement for every ASF project, we also expect people to
>>> contribute as Individuals, and wear appropriate Hats."
>> I cannot see any contradiction. Can you explain where exactly you see
>> the contradiction?
> As I understand it, the Apache Way means that building consensus has
> more value than a code base that can be donated but can't be modified
> because, well, there are good reasons not to do it.

are you refering to the OpenCMIS code? If so, then please say so and
give the OpenCMIS folks a change to prove different.
>>> -> Let our Apache Foundation overlords decide.
>> who are you refering to?
> I'm not familiar with the process, but I understand that some people
> are going to be responsible for deciding who will graduate and who won't.

maybe you want to take a look at

since I guess this also matters to Chemistry ;-)
>>> I still think that at least there should be common code (ex:
>>> constants, as suggested by Jukka) and I hope that this will the
>>> case, in any case.
>> Maybe you want to go one step towards OpenCMIS and make a concrete
>> suggestion what you think could be shared and I am quite certain
>> the OpenCMIS guys will also make a step towards Chemistry as well
>> .... and I am confident collaboration will happen, but yes somebody has
>> to make a first step and maybe it is even an advantage to take this
>> first step ;-)
> I think suggestions have already been made.

are you refering to Jukka's suggestions? Of which suggestions exactly?

@OpenCMIS folks: What is your point of view re Jukka's suggestions?