incubator-general mailing list archives

From Emmanuel LŽcharny <elecha...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Sun, 13 Dec 2009 00:32:53 GMT
Michael Wechner a écrit :
> Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:
>> Michael Wechner a écrit :

>>> I cannot see any contradiction. Can you explain where exactly you
>>> see the contradiction?
>> Hi,
>>
>> I just grab the description of both projects :
>>
>> "OpenCMIS will deliver a Java implementation of the OASIS CMIS
>> specification."
>>
>> "Apache Chemistry is a generic Java language implementation of the
>> upcoming OASIS CMIS specification. "
>>
>> I barely see how two communities working on two projects with the
>> very same target can't collaborate and form the best possible
>> community to fulfill this target, leveraging the great people from
>> both of the current project...
>>
>> This is where I see a contradiction : it seems like there is some
>> divergence on the technical side, which is not really the Incubator
>> concern. What is important to us is that a community is built,
>> because it's the guarantee for a long term existence for the project.
>> We don't have the resources and time to setup a darwinian process
>> here :)
>
> I am not sure what exactly you mean with "we", but I would argue that
> the CMS community out there is rather large and has enough
> potential to provide contributors for both projects.
>
> It's up to each incubator project itself to build a healthy community
> and AFAIK these rules are clear and in particular what it takes to
> leave the incubator.
> So either a project will make it or not. I am assuming this is what
> the incubator is good for, right?

Would the Incubator be a place where projects enter and try to develop
and succeed per their technical merit only, I would agree. But it
involves people with a limited timeframe (mentors, champion, PMC
members), and I feel that it's a bit a waste to see two projects trying
to implement the exact same spec unable to collaborate. I mean, both
teams most certainly have their own merit, I won't argue this point, but
at some point a bit less ego and a bit more collaboration will generate
a better result.

I see where Joe is going to with his "let both project get in and let's
see which one will survive", I can't help but thinking that beside the
rules, there is a spirit which is way more important.

At least, let's try...