incubator-general mailing list archives

From Michael Wechner <michael.wech...@wyona.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] OpenCMIS incubator for Content Mangement Interoperability Services (CMIS)
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 23:41:11 GMT
Emmanuel LŽcharny wrote:
> Michael Wechner a écrit :
>> Stefane Fermigier schrieb:
>>> OK, I personally believe this is in contradiction with the first
>>> commandment of the Apache Way:
>>>
>>> "*Community over Code* is a frequent saying that exemplifies ASF
>>> projects. Community uses Openness and Merit, expressed through
>>> Collaborative and Consensus driven work, to build lasting projects
>>> that use a Pragmatic License. While a diverse community is a
>>> requirement for every ASF project, we also expect people to
>>> contribute as Individuals, and wear appropriate Hats."
>>
>> I cannot see any contradiction. Can you explain where exactly you see
>> the contradiction?
> Hi,
>
> I just grab the description of both projects :
>
> "OpenCMIS will deliver a Java implementation of the OASIS CMIS
> specification."
>
> "Apache Chemistry is a generic Java language implementation of the
> upcoming OASIS CMIS specification. "
>
> I barely see how two communities working on two projects with the very
> same target can't collaborate and form the best possible community to
> fulfill this target, leveraging the great people from both of the
> current project...
>
> This is where I see a contradiction : it seems like there is some
> divergence on the technical side, which is not really the Incubator
> concern. What is important to us is that a community is built, because
> it's the guarantee for a long term existence for the project. We don't
> have the resources and time to setup a darwinian process here :)

I am not sure what exactly you mean with "we", but I would argue that
the CMS community out there is rather large and has enough
potential to provide contributors for both projects.

It's up to each incubator project itself to build a healthy community
and AFAIK these rules are clear and in particular what it takes to leave
the incubator.
So either a project will make it or not. I am assuming this is what the
incubator is good for, right?

Cheers

Michael