incubator-general mailing list archives

From Leo Simons <m...@leosimons.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Validation incubator for JSR-303 Bean Validation
Date Sat, 12 Dec 2009 03:25:34 GMT
On 12/11/09 1:14 AM, Donald Woods wrote:
> I would like to present an incubator proposal for a new Validation
> podling, which would be a JSR-303 Bean Validation follow-on to the
> existing Apache Commons Validation 1.x project, but based on a new
> incoming codebase with a software grant from Agimatec GmbH.
>
> The proposal is available on the wiki at:
>
> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/ValidationProposal

The proposal looks fine on paper, but I'll agree with some of the other
comments that it seems a bit silly to incubate this as a disjoint project.

If you have 3 capable and able mentors *and* a whole bunch of people
that are already committers, why can't they mentor your one or two new
committers while those people are constrained to their specific sandbox,
and avoid tons of bureaucracy and overhead?

I have no real idea why anyone would think that "doing incubation" looks
like it'll have a better chance of success in this case.

Put another way - what does "doing incubation" buy you, and why is it
seen as a better option?

Can you please reconsider and see if you can do this as an ip clearance
only?

If it helps I can hop on a mailing list and object to some objections? :-D

ciao...

- Leo