incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: How documentation != code, and how to "do" policy (was: Re: Publishing api docs for Subversion)
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 19:55:49 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> You're taking a
> policy that applies to release artifacts and stretching it to
> something it wasn't intended to cover.

Applying the rules for releases to significant subsets of releases
doesn't seem like much of a stretch to me.  Subsets are subject to the
same copyright and license concerns, the motivations for the rules.

> In the absence of specific
> policy then *objections* are out of order since its up to the PMC of a
> project to decide these things.

What?  I can't state what I believe to be a best practice?

I have not objected to anything.  Someone asked about posting
pre-release documentation, and I remarked that, like pre-release code,
they should keep it distant from released documentation, ideally only
linked from the developer portion of their site.  Is that really a bad idea?

Doug