incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing api docs for Subversion
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 18:46:45 GMT
Branko ─îibej wrote:
> So I'm not too clear on what your objections are.
>     * Do you object to publishing non-released documentation on the
>       project Web pages?

I object to posting these outside of a clearly-marked developer portion
of the project's web site.

>       Then you should start by cleaning up the
>       existing ASF TLPs; begin with HTTPD, for example.

I am here responding to a question about an incubating project, not
about HTTPD.  I agree that HTTPD does not appear to be following
best-practice here.  All other developer-specific links for HTTPD seem
to be in http://httpd.apache.org/dev/.  This one should be too, although
the sidebar link does at least have "dev" in it.

>     * Do you object to publishing the link and not marking it as
>       "development" or "unstable" or whatever? AFAICS nobody suggested that.

I think the best practice is not merely to mark such links, but to put
all developer-specific links in a separate section of the website for
developers.

Doug