incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <>
Subject Re: OSS Java AAC Decoder?
Date Mon, 07 Dec 2009 15:41:44 GMT
Todd Volkert wrote:
> Does anyone on this list know of an existing open source pure-Java Advanced
> Audio Coding (AAC) library?  If not, are there any audiophiles on this list
> that would be interested in incubating such a project with me? :)  Do you
> know of any barriers to such a project (like performance of a pure-Java
> library being a problem given the complexity of the encoding)?

I wouldn't know about the performance of Java in general, but certainly
AAC(+) encoding isn't trivial. Decoding is somewhat easier, as usual.

However, the whole idea is probably quite a bit problematic, because AAC
coding, streaming and playback are subject to a ton of patents and
MPEG-LA licensing. I wouldn't know how that fits withtin the ASF, but
I'd imagine it's edge-case at best.

-- Brane

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: