incubator-general mailing list archives

From Branko ─îibej <>
Subject Re: Publishing api docs for Subversion
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 12:52:56 GMT
Doug Cutting wrote:
> Niall Pemberton wrote:
>> I would prefer what I say isn't distorted by selective editing.
> Sorry, that was not my intent.
>>> I'm not talking about the website in general.  I'm talking specifically
>>> about publishing content primarily intended for inclusion in
>>> releases. Would
>> Publication & release are two different things - thats the point.
> I don't see that yet.  Can you tell me more about the difference?  I
> use "publish", "distribute" and "release" more or less synonymously
> when referring to project content.  Subversion contains only working
> drafts.
>>> we permit someone to mirror other files from trunk on the website?
>>> What's
>> Yes and I bet every project provides a link to browse subversion which
>> itself is just another web site.
> Yes, but such links are meant to be confined to developer-oriented
> pages.  We specifically do not encourage anyone but developers to use
> code in subversion.  We provide extra diligence for releases, and that
> only makes sense if we don't otherwise distribute their content to the
> general public.  Subversion is a service for our developers.

The ViewVC pages are publicly accessible. Therefore they are a service
for the whole world, not just for our developers; just like the project
web sites. I find myself quite often looking at sources and mainline
documentation for projects where I'm not a developer. Most of the time,
such resources are marked as unstable in some way, and not just in
Apache-hosted projects. That's as it should be.

So I'm not too clear on what your objections are.

    * Do you object to publishing non-released documentation on the
      project Web pages? Then you should start by cleaning up the
      existing ASF TLPs; begin with HTTPD, for example.
    * Do you object to publishing the link and not marking it as
      "development" or "unstable" or whatever? AFAICS nobody suggested that.

-- Brane

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message