incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing api docs for Subversion
Date Sat, 05 Dec 2009 01:08:21 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> I would prefer what I say isn't distorted by selective editing.

Sorry, that was not my intent.

>> I'm not talking about the website in general.  I'm talking specifically
>> about publishing content primarily intended for inclusion in releases. Would
>
> Publication & release are two different things - thats the point.

I don't see that yet.  Can you tell me more about the difference?  I use
"publish", "distribute" and "release" more or less synonymously when
referring to project content.  Subversion contains only working drafts.

>> we permit someone to mirror other files from trunk on the website?  What's
>
> Yes and I bet every project provides a link to browse subversion which
> itself is just another web site.

Yes, but such links are meant to be confined to developer-oriented
pages.  We specifically do not encourage anyone but developers to use
code in subversion.  We provide extra diligence for releases, and that
only makes sense if we don't otherwise distribute their content to the
general public.  Subversion is a service for our developers.

Doug