incubator-general mailing list archives

From Doug Cutting <cutt...@apache.org>
Subject Re: Publishing api docs for Subversion
Date Fri, 04 Dec 2009 21:09:16 GMT
Niall Pemberton wrote:
> It might be good a good idea to not confuse users trying to find docs
> that relate to a release from that of of the current trunk, but its
> doing incubating projects a disservice to try and make out that
> release policy cover the docs they publish on their web site.

Don't our release policies cover all the stuff that's in releases and
derivations thereof?  What's the rationale to separate documentation
from everything else that's in a release?

> This is
> something for the project to decide for themselves and we should keep
> our noses out and avoid trying to find new ways to beat them up with
> policy.

I'm actually trying to keep the policy straightforward and consistent:
ASF content that's subject to release votes should only be published to
non-developers after it's been released.  Posting trunk documentation
seems very similar to posting a nightly build.  Both are permitted, but
not only via developer-specific pages, not in a way that can be
construed as an official distribution.

Doug