incubator-general mailing list archives

From Joe Schaefer <joe_schae...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Validation incubator for JSR-303 Bean Validation
Date Thu, 31 Dec 2009 23:40:02 GMT

Validator 1.x

PMC will

> weenies
> the

> it.

> >> So should commit require merit or not?  I understand the need for
> >> flexibility, but if we are going to have a meaningful "committer"
> >> role, we need to be consistent (at least within projects) what it
> >> means.  At commons, we are not rigid, but we do require sustained
> >> contributions (vaguely defined, but at least a few months) before we
> >> vote someone in as a committer.  This is because being voted in
> >> means something in terms of merit.  We could change that and divorce
> >> commit from merit - postponing the merit requirement until the PMC
> >> membership vote.  Is this what you mean?
> >
> > I don't see any need for several months to pass before being able to figure
> > out if someone is participating to further the group's goals and understands
> > the group's unique style of work.  That is the distinguishing characteristic
> > of whether someone should be given full access to subversion IMO, not some
> > nebulous notion of accrued merit.
>
> As I said, we do not have a hard and fast rule on length of time,
> but this "nebulous notion" is what makes the ASF work.

If that were true the incubator would need to be completely reworked,
because the process we use here is basically a filter on those that
offer to participate- graduating projects select from their committer
rosters who they'd like to carry on as committers or add to the PMC
when they go top-level.

>   The point of having a version control system
> > in place is that we can be lax in how we dish out permissions to it *because*
> > it's easy to fix mistakes *after* they happen.  The overriding goal is to weed
> > out people who consume more collective energy than they give back, not to
> bestow
> > an honorific title on those that clear the bar.
>
> No, you have it backwards.  Merit is earned and with it comes
> influence. You don't get it instantly and then lose it. I don't
> think "weeding out" those who consume more than they contribute as
> an organizing principle would work.  It is certainly not the way we
> have been operating up to now at the ASF.

You have conflated the symbols of authority with true authority- merit
has nothing to do with one's committer status.  Being a committer doesn't
confer instant credibility any more than being a non-committer means one
is clueless.  If a committer doesn't know how to work productively with
his/her peers, his/her work won't have any recogizable merit to those people,
which in the end is what matters most.  Just because someone has commit doesn't
mean they have any control over the direction of a project, or even their own
fate- that rests with the PMC.