incubator-general mailing list archives

From Robert Burrell Donkin <robertburrelldon...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 18:04:43 GMT
i'm +1 in principle

but will probably have some practical questions/comments when/if i get
time later...

On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:48 PM, Martijn Dashorst
<martijn.dashorst@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 5:20 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>> I do not expect Subversion to make a release while in Incubation. Our
>> next big release is 1.7, and is expected in (hopefully?) Q1 next year.
>> There is a chance that we'd like to release 1.6.7 while we're
>> incubating. That can be a bridge to cross later.
>
> While I have great confidence in the ability of the subversion team to
> build quality and legally sound releases, I do think that doing one
> release inside the incubator would be prudent. If only to ensure due
> process. In my opinion getting a release vetted by the IPMC is one of
> the hardest things to accomplish and diversity aside the most
> important aspect of a successful incubation.

+1

but this doesn't have to be a release aimed at users and - for
projects with plenty of existing users - it's probably best that it
isn't. what's checked is the form, not the code - all the stupid nit
picking little things that make a difference. it can take a while to
get them all right, which can be really frustrating if everything
needs to stop whilst this happens. (sorry if this doesn't make much
sense - i'm in a huge rush)

- robert