incubator-general mailing list archives

From Niclas Hedhman <>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 04:40:55 GMT
On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
<> wrote:

> As Hyrum suggests, we can use org.apache.subversion.* if we want to
> create a new (better) Java interface within our versioning rules - but
> that isn't necessary nor should it be a pre-req for graduation.

IMNSHO, either Subversion address this issue pre-graduation, OR we
remove the package name change requirement for ALL incubating
projects, leaving it up to the project post-graduation to address it.
It has been a contentious issue in the past, and will be so in the
future, and I am not going to defend ASF's position if it doesn't
apply to everyone.

I would actually like to hear from more Java-centric developers of
Board and IPMC what they think about this...

Niclas Hedhman, Software Developer - New Energy for Java

I  live here;
I  work here;
I relax here;

To unsubscribe, e-mail: