incubator-general mailing list archives

From Alexei Fedotov <alexei.fedo...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL] Apache OpenMeetings incubator for Web Conferencing
Date Tue, 03 Nov 2009 09:02:51 GMT
Noel,
Regarding Theora codec, I have checked the page [1]. Currently, there
are no products which successfully use the codec for video
communication. Video-phone encodes and decodes the stream in
real-time, adopts the quality with regard to network conditions (e.g.
lost packet rate) and tries to minimize subjective effects of network
errors - the list of requirements is broader than for media players
Theora is mostly used. The work [2] says suggests using hardware
implementations for Theora codec because, otherwise "a computational
performance too high to be implemented in the camera by the universal
processor".

So at least it requires some time and testing before I can say that
Theora-based solution is feasible. Another ecosystem change, like
embedding video-codecs in browsers, may resolve our need in a
different way.

[1] http://www.vorbis.com/software/
[2] http://www3.elphel.com/linuxtag/talks_2005/paper-11081

2009/11/3 Noel J. Bergman <noel@devtech.com>:
> Alexei Fedotov wrote:
>
>> I see two long-term possibilities for synergy.
>> 1. BlueSky can integrate browser pannel in their client to handle a
>> whiteboard. In this case the code for whiteboard can be re-used in
>> both projects.
>
>> 2. They promise to get rid from mplayer and ffmpeg dependencies. If
>> they get a working streaming video-client under APL, this would help
>> us to remove the most imporant dependency from Flash.
>
> They are proposing to move to Theora/Vorbis, which is under a suitable
> license: http://www.vorbis.com/faq/#slic.  Would that be suitable for your
> needs?
>
>> we [also] get more people on Apache who share the same task.
>
> Agreed.
>
>        --- Noel

Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
http://www.telecom-express.ru/