incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ralph Goers <ralph.go...@dslextreme.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:58:38 GMT

On Nov 17, 2009, at 6:27 AM, Hyrum K. Wright wrote:

> On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:
>
>> Ralph Goers wrote:
>>> In general, Java code at Apache should reside under a package of org.apache.
In this case, I would expect org.apache.subversion.javahl.  Of course, this will create compatibility
problems. I don't know if it is completely possible to create a separate jar containing the
necessary glue code to map the org.tigris classes to org.apache - or if is even worth the
effort.

>> I don't quite understand the point of this. Here we are with a Java
>> wrapper library for the Subversion APIs. The versioning rules that apply
>> to it are the same as for the rest of Subversion -- in other words, we
>> *must* keep the same package names in the JavaHL public API. Is there a
>> specific reason for doing a bunch of extra work that does not add any
>> value to JavaHL but only adds a layer of indirection for /all/ users of
>> the library?
>
> Subversion's versioning guidelines say that the old APIs (and implicitly the package
names) need to stay stable in future 1.x releases.

> That does not, however, preclude us from creating an up-to-date interface in the org.apache
namespace, and only adding new and future features to that interface, effectively deprecating
the old one.

Makes sense to me.

Ralph