incubator-general mailing list archives

From Andrus Adamchik <and...@objectstyle.org>
Subject Re: Insanity. Apache Incubator should be about education (was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)
Date Mon, 09 Nov 2009 15:53:49 GMT

On Nov 9, 2009, at 5:23 PM, Greg Stein wrote:

> I mean, really... how many other projects that are 9.5 years old(*) do
> we expect to see arriving here? And of those, how many *started* with
> the ideas and precepts of the Apache Software Foundation? I suspect it
> will be zero, so wasting a lot of time documenting (rather than
> recognizing) exceptions might not be very useful.

There were a few mature projects. Not as large as SVN, but still
pretty old (say 5 years of track record) and with established
community and market position. Essentially in the same category (maybe
sans the ubiquity of SVN).

> But I say "as appropriate". Sometimes it just doesn't make sense to
> document every possible exception. But simply to note *they can
> exist*.

Agreed. Just that nobody else was able to get a waiver to date, and
this was likely because people coming in were intimidated into
thinking they have no other way, but follow the procedure. So
unfortunately there is (and likely will be) a difference in treatment.
I guess that's a social issue, not a procedural one (i.e. insider vs.
outsider perception).

Andrus