incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject RE: Incubator Releases: mandatory or optional? Purpose?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:47:51 GMT
Robert Burrell Donkin wrote:

> IMHO a podling should know how to cut an ASF release
> the easiest way to demonstrate this knowledge is to cut a release
> but it's not the only way.

I don't have an argument with any of those three points.

I also suggest that there is a difference between preparing a release and
actually doing a release.  In other words, one could prepare the proposed
artifacts as if they were to be in a release, without releasing them.  That
would allow audit of the key criteria.

> i'd like to see a track approach (with IPMC approval votes at each stage)
>    [1] licensing audit
>    [2] source audit
>    [3] build audit
> rather than hitting all these issues when the first release is cut.

Please elaborate at your convenience.  And where do you feel that an audit
of the release artifacts comes in?  Step 3?

	--- Noel