incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Noel J. Bergman" <n...@devtech.com>
Subject Incubator Releases: mandatory or optional? Purpose?
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 18:27:11 GMT
Greg Stein wrote:

> > IIRC, Martijn has offered a proper legal review in the place of a
"release".
> > This sounded pretty reasonable to me. I would agree to that.

> Yup. I've already stated that I have no problems with running RAT and
> working through those issues. Might have been hard to see in this long
> thread

Ironically, when the Incubator first formed, podlings could NOT do a release
and many yelled about it.  Accordingly, after much discussion on how, that
rule was changed so that a podling *could* do a release.  Later, some people
felt that it was not only possible, but should be mandatory to see a project
go through the release process, and (in another irony), I believe that some
of those asking to skirt the issue for Subversion were amonst those pushing
to see the projects do a release before graduation.  Later on, there was a
push from the Infrastructure team (as noted already by Joe), wanting to make
sure that the podling knew the processes for doing a release on ASF
infrastructure.

	--- Noel