incubator-general mailing list archives

From Brett Porter <>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Wed, 18 Nov 2009 05:17:35 GMT

On 18/11/2009, at 3:40 PM, Niclas Hedhman wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
> <> wrote:
>> As Hyrum suggests, we can use org.apache.subversion.* if we want to
>> create a new (better) Java interface within our versioning rules - but
>> that isn't necessary nor should it be a pre-req for graduation.
> IMNSHO, either Subversion address this issue pre-graduation, OR we
> remove the package name change requirement for ALL incubating
> projects, leaving it up to the project post-graduation to address it.
> It has been a contentious issue in the past, and will be so in the
> future, and I am not going to defend ASF's position if it doesn't
> apply to everyone.

Handling case by case is valuable.

If it were* then there might be cause for concern in that it might not
appear independent.

I'm fine with Subversion keeping the current namespace, under the understanding that migrating
in the future in a way that makes sense for their users is a good thing to do. This is similar
to when a subproject goes TLP too - for example, I work on Archiva, which came from Maven,
which is partially org.apache.maven.archiva.* and partially org.apache.archiva.*.

- Brett
To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

View raw message