incubator-general mailing list archives

From Ian Boston <...@tfd.co.uk>
Subject Re: Review-Then-Commit
Date Thu, 12 Nov 2009 08:46:48 GMT

On 12 Nov 2009, at 03:16, Greg Stein wrote:

> Not a "strong opinion", but I think that RTC hampers the free-flow of
> ideas, experimentation, evolution, and creativity. It is a damper on
> expressivity. You maneuver bureaucracy to get a change in. CTR is
> about making a change and discussing it. But you get *forward
> progress*.
>
> I also feel that RTC will tend towards *exclusivity* rather than the
> Apache ideal of *inclusivity*. That initial review is a social and
> mental burden for new committers. People are afraid enough of
> submitting patches and trying to join into a development community,
> without making them run through a front-loaded process.
>
> I've participated in both styles of development. RTC is *stifling*. I
> would never want to see that in any Apache community for its routine
> development (branch releases are another matter).
>
> My opinion is that it is very unfortunate that Cassandra feels that it
> cannot trust its developers with a CTR model, and pushes RTC as its
> methodology. The group-mind smashes down the creativity of the
> individual, excited, free-thinking contributor.

+1, having experienced both,
IMVHO
RTC shrinks a community to a core team of dedicated and highly
knowledgeable committers.
CTR expands and educates a community

not least because committed mistakes demand fixing by the committer
and then anyone who can fix the bug. The only downside is that
occasionally trunk wont build/run and if trunk is close to production
that probably matters.

Shindig is mostly RTC, and was very close to big production.
Sling is mostly CTR

Ian