incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Insanity. Apache Incubator should be about education
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 11:41:14 GMT
With a few days of additional information now available, I'll stick my
finger into the soup again.

What the incubator wants/needs/requires is that the community
understand how to make and vote on a release,

and that the release conforms to Apache legal standards.

I would be happy to split these two items for the subversion podling
as follows:

1. Have the podling make and vote, on the Apache mailing list, on a
non-Apache branded release (some maintenance release that might be
upcoming) that's made outside Apache. This is the process thing, that
without my going through the existing archives, I assume has been done
countless times without any Apache oversight and should simply
demonstrate to everyone how the community works.

2. Have the podling make an Apache-branded tarball with signatures for
legal review by the incubator. This is the thing that may very well
contain some surprises (some unexpected LGPL dependency, missing
license header file, or some such). There are people here who pick
nits as entertainment. ;-)

Craig

P.S. It was never my intent that the incubator would require the
subversion community to release some crap for the sake of releasing
some crap.