incubator-general mailing list archives

From Kevan Miller <kevan.mil...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: Insanity. Apache Incubator should be about education (was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion)
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:23:14 GMT

On Nov 10, 2009, at 10:44 AM, Greg Stein wrote:

> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 03:48, William A. Rowe, Jr. <wrowe@rowe-clan.net
> > wrote:
>> Greg Stein wrote:
>>> The Apache Incubator is about EDUCATION. It is about TEACHING
>>> podlings
>>> how to work here at Apache.
>>
>> I'm a little confused.  I'm reading a really long rant here, but I
>> expect
>> if you look at what nearly all mentors do in their respective
>> podlings,
>> this is exactly what they provide (granted, with wildly varying
>> degrees
>> of effort or attention).
>
> And that is exactly what I'd like to do. But when the Incubator
> *imposes* requirements of release that does not meet the project's own
> quality guidelines, for an audience of zero, then I call that
> "ridiculous make-work". That is my rant. That the Incubator-at-large
> is imposing crap on the podling, rather than teaching the podling what
> it means to be part of the ASF.

IIRC, Martijn has offered a proper legal review in the place of a
"release". This sounded pretty reasonable to me. I would agree to
that. I'm surprised you haven't worked with his proposal, to find what
I think would be a good compromise.

I agree with you that a release shouldn't be "make-work" -- it should
be the natural evolution of a community creating code. But I'm bit
puzzled by your extreme urgency for a fast incubator exit. Incubator
overhead would seem to be greatest for a release (which is not in your
immediate plans, it seems). Until then, overhead for board reports and
voting in new committers/pmc members would seem to be a minimal burden.

--kevan