incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Hyrum K. Wright" <hyrum_wri...@mail.utexas.edu>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Tue, 17 Nov 2009 14:27:59 GMT

On Nov 17, 2009, at 3:11 AM, Branko ─îibej wrote:

> Ralph Goers wrote:
>> In general, Java code at Apache should reside under a package of org.apache. In this
case, I would expect org.apache.subversion.javahl.  Of course, this will create compatibility
problems. I don't know if it is completely possible to create a separate jar containing the
necessary glue code to map the org.tigris classes to org.apache - or if is even worth the
effort.

> I don't quite understand the point of this. Here we are with a Java
> wrapper library for the Subversion APIs. The versioning rules that apply
> to it are the same as for the rest of Subversion -- in other words, we
> *must* keep the same package names in the JavaHL public API. Is there a
> specific reason for doing a bunch of extra work that does not add any
> value to JavaHL but only adds a layer of indirection for /all/ users of
> the library?

Subversion's versioning guidelines say that the old APIs (and implicitly the package names)
need to stay stable in future 1.x releases.

That does not, however, preclude us from creating an up-to-date interface in the org.apache
namespace, and only adding new and future features to that interface, effectively deprecating
the old one.

-Hyrum