incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:11:21 GMT

On Nov 18, 2009, at 10:22 AM, Leo Simons wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 4:40 AM, Niclas Hedhman <niclas@hedhman.org>
> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 12:06 AM, Justin Erenkrantz
>> <justin@erenkrantz.com> wrote:
>>
>>> As Hyrum suggests, we can use org.apache.subversion.* if we want to
>>> create a new (better) Java interface within our versioning rules -
>>> but
>>> that isn't necessary nor should it be a pre-req for graduation.
>>
>> IMNSHO, either Subversion address this issue pre-graduation, OR we
>> remove the package name change requirement for ALL incubating
>> projects, leaving it up to the project post-graduation to address it.
>
> Any reference to this being a requirement? I looked for it the other
> day but didn't find anything.
>
> "If its not documented rule it is not a rule".

Then it's time to document this in our rules.

Java package spaces have always carried significant importance in the
Java community in terms of who is providing stewardship of the code.
This convention is so taken for granted in the Java community that I
am not surprised that it has not been written down.

Regards,
Alan