incubator-general mailing list archives

From Craig L Russell <Craig.Russ...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: Hibernate migration strategy Was: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] OpenMeetings
Date Thu, 19 Nov 2009 16:45:18 GMT
Hi,

On Nov 19, 2009, at 8:17 AM, Alexei Fedotov wrote:

> Hello,
> As for migrating from Hibernate, I see several alternatives for
> persistence.
> Enterprise Java experts, please, could you comment on this?
>
> 1. stackoverflow.com suggested using Spring as a persistence
> technology. My
> friend said that it requires coding, but you get manageable, clear and
> transparent application. We already use Spring as a dependency.

Spring includes OpenJPA for persistence, in addition to JDBC/SQL
wrappers. JDBC isn't really a substitute for Hibernate. If you're used
to the domain object model for persistence, going back to writing SQL
for everything might be a disappointment.

> 2. Using JPA from Java 6 JPA allows using less libraries and being
> more
> compatible with Google App Engine. The latter may help general users
> to host
> the web application.

JPA is a technology, not an implementation. If you use JPA (my
recommendation) as a replacement for Hibernate, you can choose among
several commercial and non-commercial implementations, e.g.
DataNucleus, OpenJPA, TopLink, or Hibernate.

> 3. Does OpenJPA suggested by Niclas offer any benefits compared to
> JPA?
> Synergy is good, but there may be other benefits I cannot see. Sorry
> for my
> ignorance.

Other projects both inside and outside Apache http://openjpa.apache.org/powered-by.html
  depend on the JPA interface and OpenJPA implementation for their
Java persistence requirements. The OpenJPA users mailing list is
responsive and there are lots of Apache folk who are happy to help.

The nice thing about using JPA is that you can run it on OpenJPA but
users of OpenMeeting in the field can choose another JPA
implementation if they have strong preferences for .

Craig

> Thanks.
> P.S. Ross, it would be really nice to get you as a mentor.
> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 6:56 PM, Ross Gardler <rgardler@apache.org>
> wrote:
>
>> 2009/11/18 Sebastian Wagner <seba.wagner@gmail.com>:
>>> we would like to propose Openmeetings project to join the incubator.
>>>
>>> Full Proposal:
>>> http://wiki.apache.org/incubator/OpenmeetingsProposal
>>
>> Calling a vote is premature. Therefore my vote is -1.
>>
>> Your proposal does not yet have a confirmed champion and you don't
>> have sufficient mentors yet.
>>
>> I'm still toying with the idea of mentoring, but I'm still unclear
>> with respect to the legal situation. I've not seen a clear consensus
>> that it will ever be possible to produce a cleanly licensed
>> application that does not require the use of LGPL/GPL code.
>>
>> Ross

> --
> Alexei Fedotov / Алексей Федотов,
> http://www.telecom-express.ru/