incubator-general mailing list archives

From ant elder <ant.el...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [VOTE] release Apache VCL 2.1
Date Tue, 24 Nov 2009 09:17:27 GMT
On Mon, Nov 23, 2009 at 5:02 PM, Kevan Miller <kevan.miller@gmail.com> wrote:

> On Nov 23, 2009, at 11:10 AM, sebb wrote:

>>> Just curious why you think this is a blocker? Each project knows better
>>> what formats are common and acceptable in the target user community. There's
>>> no single distribution format and this is not a blocker IMO.
>>
>> The project OS targets include Windows, which does not support BZ2
>> natively by default, whereas Windows does now support Zip archives.
>>
>> AFAIK, all other ASF releases use both tar.gz and zip archives.
>
> Personally, I don't see how this is a blocking issue. It is unusual. However, I leave
it up to the VCL community to decide what archive format is meeting the needs of their users.

I agree with that, maybe it would be worth looking at having tar.gz
and zips in later releases but this doesn't seem to me like a blocker
for this one. I've reviewed the release artifacts and they look ok to
me so +1 on the release.

   ...ant