incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Explanation of the extra pain (was: Two other issues to discuss for Subversion)
Date Fri, 13 Nov 2009 20:23:04 GMT
In reference to Gilles' question about why we normally ask podling to
take on a bit of pain for double-migration, I think Leo answered that
very well [on this other thread]. That the reason focuses mostly
around making representations to users. "this is an Incubator project,
not a full Apache project"

Or at a minimum, he provides a great place for us to start answering
*why* we ask podlings to do this.

I believe that we have given Subversion a "pass" for a several reasons
(mostly restated/clarified from Leo's email):

1) we all believe Subversion will graudate, so we have no risk around
this podling pretending/representing an Apache project/name and then
bailing out
2) we do not expect Subversion to remain long (my goal: graudate
December; worst case January), so the need for particular care around
branding is not worth the cost for such a short duration
3) we trust that Subversion will engage press/PR properly and not make
false representations about its incubation status

When typical podlings stay in incubation for a year at a time, that
represents a lot of exposure time. Managing the
brand/incubation-status over that duration is important, so (thus) the
extra controls.

Okay. I *think* that is pretty much the background/rationale (please
refine/add/etc). But that said, we recognize the pain. Are there
*other* ways that we can achieve the same effects without the
double-move? (of lists and repos) Are there avenues of communication
that Incubator can manage? For example, rather than putting
@incubator.apache.org in all the mailing lists, can it have a
mandatory header/footer for each message? Can the repository have a
big README.INCUBATION at the root? The Incubator still has control of
all releases, so it still can manage branding on all releases. Can we
tweak ViewVC to dynamically insert a header "This repository area is
part of an Apache Incubator podling". etc etc.

Cheers,
-g