incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Tue, 10 Nov 2009 16:48:14 GMT
On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 11:29, Jochen Wiedmann
<jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Nov 10, 2009 at 3:59 PM, C. Michael Pilato <cmpilato@collab.net> wrote:
>
>> Subversion client and server that doesn't use a DAV layer at all.  The
>> Subversion community has never released binaries -- ever -- not do we plan
>> to.
>
> That would a completely new philosophy for an Apache project, which always aimed
> very heavily on distributions. It might either enforce to look at
> legal aspects in a
> different view - or lead to changing your philosophy. :-) Personally,
> I don't see any
> reason why things like creation of Windows binaries should be left to
> outsiders. (Apart
> from CollabNets business interests, which I wouldn't like to count.)
>
> Just recently, we had a very active discussion regarding Maven where
> the emphasis
> was laid very heavily on the distributable archives (binary and
> source) as the endorsed
> result of the release/vote process.

In httpd, we release tarballs and zips. Then some committers volunteer
prebuilts. wrowe always built Windows releases, but I don't think that
was ever mandated.

The svn release process also produces tarballs and zips (in case that
wasn't clear). We just don't do prebuilts.

Cheers,
-g