incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 16:20:30 GMT
On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:20, Garrett Rooney
<rooneg@electricjellyfish.net> wrote:
> On Thu, Nov 5, 2009 at 10:01 AM, Jochen Wiedmann
> <jochen.wiedmann@gmail.com> wrote:
>> On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 9:12 PM, Greg Stein <gstein@gmail.com> wrote:
>>
>>>  We have a number of *user-configurable* dependencies which are not
>>> compatible with the AL:
>>
>> Question for the legal experts: What will be the impact of these
>> dependencies? In particular: Will the project be able to publish
>> releases anyways while in incubation and while resolving these
>> dependencies?
>
> To the best of my knowledge there's no reason for the project to
> "resolve" anything in these cases.  Subversion doesn't actually
> distribute any of these dependencies, it just uses them if they
> already exist on the user's system.  They're all completely optional.
> It's similar to the case of other existing ASF projects that have
> optional dependencies on LGPL or GPL products (see the APR gdbm
> dependency, for example).
>
> (Speaking as a currently inactive member of both the Subversion
> project and the ASF legal committee.)
>
> -garrett

Despite his disclaimer... "what HE said" :-)

Those optional dependencies are listed in the proposal for a heads-up.
They will be brought straight to legal-discuss for an opinion should
Subversion be accepted to the Incubator. We think it should be fine
(no "hard dependency"), but will seek Legal's affirmation as part of
the Incubation process. There are probably some tweaks we'll need to
make to the config scripts and doc to clarify the legal/dependency
issues.

I do not expect Subversion to make a release while in Incubation. Our
next big release is 1.7, and is expected in (hopefully?) Q1 next year.
There is a chance that we'd like to release 1.6.7 while we're
incubating. That can be a bridge to cross later.

Cheers,
-g