incubator-general mailing list archives

From Greg Stein <gst...@gmail.com>
Subject Re: [PROPOSAL][VOTE] Subversion
Date Thu, 05 Nov 2009 14:54:06 GMT
On Wed, Nov 4, 2009 at 22:08, Niall Pemberton <niall.pemberton@gmail.com> wrote:
> I have a couple of questions:
>
> Could you be more specific about the problems faced by the Subversion
> Corporation in its three years of existence and the reasons for
> merging with the ASF? Do you anticipate whether any of these will
> cause issues/problems at the ASF?

I believe that svncorp's problems were simply due to "newbieness" and
a short supply of volunteers.

To be perfectly clear, and disclaimer-ish and all: I was a
"conscientious objector" to svncorp from the day it was suggested. I'm
the sole committer who is *not* a member of svncorp. My feelings then,
as now, was that svncorp was going to (re)discover all the issues and
problems that we have handled and solved here at the ASF. And further,
that the process of working through those issues would consume time
from our developers. ... And that is exactly what happened. svncorp
needed to figure out how to process CLAs, donations, D&O insurance,
board and member meetings, officer appointments, etc etc.

Second was a need for volunteers to provide their time to learn and
perform all of these basic activities. We have a large pool here at
the ASF, of people willing to do non-coding stuff. Yet that was not
present for svncorp and its community.

> This *feels* like a much bigger project than the usual incubating
> project - do you have any idea what the impact on ASF infrastructure
> and resources is going to be in both the short and long term?

Some people from svn are meeting with the infra team today (Thursday)
to walk through these issues. There are a number of options that the
svn devs would like to consider (see the proposal, and further emails)
such as a separate vs joint repository. I expect these items to be
raised and handled during the incubation process (subject to
acceptance, of course).

That said, I think the Infra team has built out more than enough capacity.

> Besides code and community are there any other assets or resources
> that the Subversion Corporation intends to transfer to the ASF?

I'm pretty sure there is a registered (with the USPTO) trademark that
will be transferred to the ASF. There are also a few domains (i.e.
subversion.org) that we'd like the Infra team to pick up and manage
for us. The svncorp was intended to be registered as a non-profit like
the ASF, but I'm not sure of its current status. It has a number of
documents and whatnot to file with the IRS and similar authorities,
along with potential back taxes. After that paperwork, I expect there
to be a small positive cash balance which will most likely be donated
to the ASF (but that is outside the scope of this donation/process,
and subject to a separate vote of the svncorp members).

> Presumably the Subversion Corporation will be wound up if/when it
> successfully graduates from incubation?

Correct.

Cheers,
-g