incubator-general mailing list archives

From "Alan D. Cabrera" <l...@toolazydogs.com>
Subject Re: JavaHL package namespace / migration / compatability
Date Sat, 21 Nov 2009 17:08:20 GMT

On Nov 18, 2009, at 5:14 AM, Justin Erenkrantz wrote:

> On Wed, Nov 18, 2009 at 5:57 AM, Christopher Brind <brindy@brindy.org.uk
> > wrote:
>> I can understand why Subversion should be made a top level project
>> quickly,
>> but I personally believe the namespace change is a reasonable
>> request in
>> order to graduate for all the same reasons that convinced me Pivot
>> should
>> change its namespace.
>>
>> It sends the wrong message not to change given the importance of
>> the Apache
>> namespace, imho.
>
> If Subversion were a Java project, maybe I would consider it more
> important that it change.
>
> However, the Java bindings are a very small (and largely
> insignificant, IMO) part of Subversion.  Holding a C-based project up
> for graduation because their Java bindings aren't in the org.apache.*
> namespace starts to sound petty.  -- justin

I have a different opinion.  Java package spaces have always carried
significant importance in the java community in terms of who is
providing stewardship of the code.

Having users change the packages when they move to a *new* version
requires no significant burden.  It happens all the time in the Java
world and we are not treading on new ground here.

Regards,
Alan